Late-summer plums fill this delicately spiced, rustic crostata. The flavor of the buttery crust is enhanced with INDIA TREE Light Muscovado Sugar
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1stick (8 tablespoons) cold butter cut into 8 pieces
- 1/3cup ice water
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1pound ripe firm plums, pitted and cut into thin slices
- 1/4teaspoon ground INDIA TREE Allspice
- 1/4teaspoon ground INDIA TREE Cinnamon
- 1egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Food processor
- Mixing bowls
- Spice grinder
- Baking sheet
- Variation: 4 tartlet pans, 3 1/2″ diameter
Bake mini crostatas by dividing dough into 4 pieces and lining 4 3-inch tartlet pans placed on larger baking sheet. Bake at 400 F. for 30 to 35 minutes, or until crostatas are golden brown. When cool, sift powdered sugar around edges.
- In a food processor, combine flour and 2 tablespoons of the Light Muscovado Sugar. Pulse briefly.
- Add butter. Pulse briefly until butter is no larger than a pea.
- Drizzle on the ice water, and pulse briefly until dough just comes together.
- Remove dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Press flat, wrap tight, and place in refrigerator until cold, about 15to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 12 inch to 14 inch round.
- Place dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat. Place back in refrigerator.
- Mix remaining Light Muscovado Sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and allspice in a bowl. Add plum slices and gently mix.
- Arrange plums on the dough, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border. Fold the edges over the plums.
- Brush the edges with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes.