Roasted Game Hens
A great idea for an informal dinner party or a quiet evening just for two. Game hens may be purchased frozen. Thaw and season with INDIA TREE Herbes de Provence, Fleur de Sel, and coarse-ground Tellicherry Pepper. Roast in a skillet for approximately one-half hour. Use the drippings in the pan to create a flavor-filled sauce. Accompany with a vegetable and coucous or wild rice. Complete the meal with a light, fruit-based dessert such as Spiced Plum Sorbet.
- 2garlic cloves minced
- 1/2teaspoon INDIA TREE Fleur de Sel
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1tablespoon INDIA TREE Herbes de Provence
- 1tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4teaspoon ground INDIA TREE Tellicherry Peppercorns
- 2cornish game hens (each about 1 1/4 pounds) split lengthwise or 3 pounds chicken parts
- 1tablespoon safflower or olive oil
- 1/2cup minced shallots
- 1cup Riesling or Gewurtztraminer
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. On a cutting board chop the garlic with 1/2 teaspoon of Fleur de Sel until the garlic becomes a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add 4 tablespoons of the butter, the Herbes de Provence, orange zest and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Mash until well mixed. Loosen the skin on the hens. Using your fingers, spread the butter mixture under the skin of each hen half. Sprinkle the hens on both sides with more Fleur de Sel and ground pepper.
- Heat a 12-inch oven-proof skillet over high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of butter and the oil. Add the game hens, skin side down, nestling them all in the pan. Let cook until nicely browned, about 5-7 minutes and turn. Transfer to the oven and roast 25-30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads 170 F when inserted into the inside of the thigh muscle. Remove hens from the skillet to plates and cover to keep warm. Place the skillet over medium-high heat and add the shallots to the skillet. Cook, stirring until shallots are softened, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until the sauce is well seasoned. Spoon over the game hens and serve.