Especially for use with INDIA TREE Natural Decorating Colors
Decorate to your heart’s content using Royal Icing tinted with INDIA TREE Natural Decorating Colors–alone or in combination with other INDIA TREE decorative products, e.g., Sanding Sugar, Sparkling Sugar, and Party Decoratifs, or with INDIA TREE Nature’s Colors Sugars and Sprinkles. The cookies in the video are decorated with Nature’s Colors Carnival Mix, Rainbow Sugar and String of Pearls.
- Medium-sized bowl
- Standup mixer with whisk
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups – dry
- Measuring cup – liquid
- Rubber spatula
- Metal off-set spatula
- Pastry bags and fitments and/or assorted squeeze bottles
*We recommend HOT water because it aids in dissolving the sugar, which in turn aids in dispersing colors evenly and in preventing color separation.
It is best to begin with a few drops at a time of any color and to stir well after each addition, remembering that each shade will deepen as it dries.
Because natural colors will vary depending on the icing recipe used, we have created both a creamed frosting and a royal icing recipe intended to give you the best results.
Royal Icing will last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator and up to 2 months in the freezer. When using icing from the freezer, thaw it first in the refrigerator, then stir it thoroughly before using.
- Measure the sugar and meringue powder into a medium-sized bowl.
- Sift the sugar/meringue powder mixture into the bowl of a standup mixer with a whisk attachment, approximately one-half cup at a time. Use the back of a large spoon to break up any clumps and to force the sugar through the sieve.
- Add HOT water** to the meringue powder and sugar, a little at a time, while mixing at medium speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl often. Continue mixing, until the icing forms peaks when the whisk is lifted out.
- Transfer the stiff icing into an airtight container. Use immediately or store at room temperature for up to two weeks, or in the refrigerator or freezer for longer.
- Stir to restore original consistency, but do not beat again. While working with royal icing, cover the bowl with a damp cloth or plastic wrap to prevent drying.
- Divide the stiff icing into separate bowls for each color. Icing should be at room temperature when color is added.
- Consult our INDIA TREE Nature’s Colors Royal Icing Coloring Guide for help in creating various colors.
- Colors should be at room temperature. Shake each vial of coloring vigorously before each use.
- Add INDIA TREE Natural Decorating Colors a few drops at a time, stirring well with the flexible spatula after each addition.
- When you have achieved the desired color, stir, stir, and stir again, scraping the bottom and sides of the container with the spatula, making certain that the color is distributed throughout the icing.
- To thin the icing for flooding, add more HOT water, a few drops at a time. After each addition of water, repeat the process in Step 5.