Butternut Squash, Sage, and Cardamom Fritters
Recipe by Becky Selengut.
Becky Selengut is a private chef, instructor and freelance writer and founder of Seasonal Cornucopia, an educational website that celebrates the cuisine of the Pacific Northwest. She has authored Good Fish: Sustainable Seafood Recipes from the Pacific Coast and Washington Local and Seasonal Cookbook. Her recipes feature local histories, folklore, regional food trivia, tips and variations. She is an advocate for seafood sustainability and seasonal, regional cuisine. She is a columnist for Edible Seattle magazine and can also be found on Twitter at @chefreinvented.
East India inspired fritters containing small, savory chunks of butternut squash and apple, and seasoned with INDIA TREE Cardamom and fresh sage, are ideal for a fall brunch or an evening snack. They are a meal in themselves when served with a mixed salad of fruit, nuts, and greens. Accompany with a mug of good coffee or a hot cup of tea.
|2||cups peanut or safflower oil (clarified butter works as well)|
|1||cup sifted all-purpose flour|
|1/4||cup sugar 1 teaspoon salt|
|1 1/2||teaspoons baking powder|
|1/3||cup whole milk|
|1/2||cup finely chopped butternut squash|
|1/2||cup finely chopped apple|
|1||teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves|
|1/4||teaspoon ground INDIA TREE Cardamom|
|1/8||teaspoon INDIA TREE Brazilian Sea Salt|
|1/2||cup INDIA TREE Fondant & Icing Sugar , sifted|
|1/4||cup ground INDIA TREE Cinnamon Stick (optional)|
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups – dry
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Fry pot
- Slotted spoon
- Paper towels
- Fine mesh strainer or sieve
- Heat oil in deep, narrow pot until it comes to 370 F. (The oil should be at least 2-3 inches deep in the pot.)
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add milk and egg; mix until batter is smooth (dough is pretty thick).
- Fold in chopped squash, apple, sage, cardamom and salt. Drop by teaspoonsfull into hot oil and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Drain well on paper towels. Put the confectioner’s sugar and optional cinnamon in a fine mesh strainer and tap on it to sprinkle a dusting of the sugar on the fritters while they are still warm. Serve immediately.